modern MIDI synthesiser
GM SoundFont is for use with any modern MIDI synthesiser: hardware (like the emu10k1 sound card), or software (like FluidSynth).
GM SoundFont package provides the larger GM sound set, without the Roland Sound Canvas extensions.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad fluid-soundfont-gm
You need a software to use it
sudo apt install -y fluidsynth fluid-soundfont-gm
Then to play a midi file
fluidsynth -i -a pulseaudio /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 your_midi_file.mid
Configure GM SoundFont in VLC
You need to open VLC's preferences. The preferences window has two display modes called Simple and All. Choose the display mode called All, then go to Codecs, Audio codecs, FluidSynth.
You select the
.sf2 file with the preferences select button. Due to a bug in the software it may ask if you want to replace the file you selected. Choose "Yes" to continue (your file remains intact).
If the FluidSynth codec is not shown in VLC's preferences, you have to install it as well as sound fonts. E.g. on Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives it is in the
vlc-plugin-fluidsynth package, while the
fluid-soundfont-gm packages install some sound fonts in
sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y vlc-plugin-fluidsynth
Others related tools
Jukebox, karaoke, and kiosk mode mp3 player
Silverjuke is an easy to use jukebox solution implemented in wxWidgets. Some of the features are:
- Wide range of supported audio formats (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPC, MP+, Ogg-Vorbis, FLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, MOD), more formats can be implemented using modules
- Internal sound processing with 32 bit (for crossfading, autovolume, jingles, smart shuffle, VST effect plugings)
- Kiosk mode, supports touchscreens
- Track information can be edited (ID3-tags)
- Support for playlists (M3U, PLS, CUE)
- Fully skinnable
- Powerful search
sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y silverjuke
Utility programs for AWE32/64 and Emu10k1 driver
This package contains the following programs:
- asfxload SoundFont file loader (ALSA)
- sfxload SoundFont file loader (OSS)
- setfx Chorus/reverb effect loader
- aweset Change the running mode of AWE driver
- sf2text Convert SoundFont to readable text
- text2sf Convert from text to SoundFont file
- gusload GUS PAT file loader
- sfxtest Example program to control AWE driver
The package includes a collection of SoundFont managing routines called AWElib. By default, AWElib is installed as a static library.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y awesfx